KUSP Request for Proposals
Underwriting & Sponsorship Services
KUSP, a public radio station serving the greater Monterey Bay area, is seeking proposals from interested contractors (organizations or individuals) to market program underwriting and sponsorships to area businesses and nonprofit organizations. We anticipate a contract duration of up to one year, subject to possible extension or renewal.
The selected contractor must:
• Identify and qualify underwriting revenue prospects for traditional radio, event sponsorships and digital media (e.g., website banners, audio stream and podcast inserts, etc.) among existing, lapsed and untapped business clients
• Write proposals and develop and negotiate underwriting agreements to close business
• Solicit and maintain in-kind trade agreements with new and existing business clients
• Work with new and existing clients to develop and evolve on-air underwriting copy
• Coordinate contract and billing arrangements with KUSP staff
• Work collaboratively with KUSP management to define activity and revenue goals
• Provide weekly and monthly reports of opportunities, closing status and information related to underwriting and business sponsorships
A qualified contractor will:
• Understand the core values of public radio
• Possess knowledge of the business environment and audience characteristics in the Monterey-Salinas-Santa Cruz media market
• Be self-motivated, well-organized and confident with cold calling, win-win negotiation and closing business to achieve sales revenue goals
• Understand and effectively communicate the value proposition of public radio underwriting (versus commercial radio advertising)
• Demonstrate skill in cultivating and nourishing loyal long-term client relationships
Contractor personnel with public media underwriting sales experience are highly desired, followed by experience in non-profit development, ncluding familiarity with customer relationship management software used in the field.
• A monthly commission of twenty percent (20%) on monthly cash revenue received from renewals and new account sales, plus ten percent (10%) on the monthly value of in-kind support received (trade underwriting). KUSP’s current book of business (cash and in-kind) generates approximately $250,000 per year in gross billing.
• As additional incentive during the first two months of the contract period, a $2,000 per month nonrefundable draw
This opportunity is available immediately. Interested parties should contact John Morrison at 831-476-2800, extension 503, or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Monterey Bay area is a culturally and ethnically diverse region, and we especially encourage proposals from contractors who will help us reflect that diversity.