KUSP Employment Opportunities
Job Description – Director of Development
Status – Full time, exempt
Direct Supervisor – General Manager, KUSP 88.9fm
The Director of Development is a senior level management position overseeing all individual giving, major gifts, planned giving and alternative revenue streams such as vehicle donation and corporate matches for KUSP public media organization. The Director of Development designs, implements, evaluates and refines KUSP’s development activities.
The Director identifies, cultivates, solicits and stewards donors and prospects in accordance with strategic goals and targets set by the General Manager. This position provides leadership and direction for development staff, fundraising consultants and board members in support of strategic goals and objectives and successfully leverages all resources to implement fundraising plans.
As a senior level manager, the Director of Development helps to foster a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization.
· Manages the membership program, including organizing, producing and overseeing on-air membership campaigns, to increase new member participation, boost donor retention, ensure success of sustained giving program and increase overall gift revenue.
· Leads staff to maximize productivity, creativity and financial results through a variety of fundraising tactics including direct mail, telemarketing, e-communication and on-air fundraising.
· Researches, writes, edits or oversees the preparation of persuasive, accurate, and well-crafted solicitations, proposals, case statements, reports, correspondence, and other development related communication materials in support of the station’s fundraising activities.
· Provides strategic oversight of major giving program including prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship as well as goal setting and record keeping. Identifies opportunities for special campaigns, such as operating campaigns, special editorial projects and possible capital improvement and endowment campaigns.
· Oversees fundraising recordkeeping systems ensuring data accuracy, donor privacy,acknowledgement and recognition and timely reporting.
· Participates in strategic planning and helps identify fundraising implications. Leads development team’s implementation of strategic objectives.
· Recruits, manages and evaluates the development team and guides the professional development of staff and ensure that they are knowledgeable about trends that may impact fundraising efforts.
· Represents KUSP in the public radio community nationally and maintains strong relationships with relevant organizations. Attends public radio conferences and meetings, as required.
· Participates in station-wide initiatives, as required.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
· Six or more years of relevant development & fundraising experience in a mature nonprofit environment with a strong track record of effective team leadership and collaboration.
· Strong strategic thinking and ability to recognize how strategic decisions are implemented successfully.
· Experience managing budgets and ability to interpret and act upon financial information.
· Strong data analysis skills.
· Strong knowledge of best practices for maximizing performance in a membership/direct marketing campaign and the ability to translate research into strategy. Familiarity with audience research is desirable.
· Demonstrated ability to initiate and cultivate key donor and opinion leader relationships and excellent people skills.
· Familiarity with the Monterey Bay area philanthropic community is a plus.
· Proficiency with a variety of technology tools including Microsoft Office, database management (knowledge of Allegiance donor software is beneficial) and have excellent computer-based analytical skills.
· Excellent communication skills and ability to communicate externally and internally across departments.
· Excellent organizational skills, detail oriented and ability to track a lot of information effectively.
· Excellent decision making skills, ability to stay calm under pressure and handle non-routine situations with command and ease.
· Master’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization or a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and significant practical experience.
· Highly motivated self-starter with the desire to achieve goals and objectives with a healthy sense of urgency and ability to work autonomously and collaboratively toward success.
· Polished and poised with the ability to serve as an excellent ambassador, role model and a strategic leader for KUSP.
· High level of personal responsibility, strives to achieve the best results and assumes ownership and accountability for their own work and that of their direct reports. Able to think critically and creatively in his/her role and show good judgment and ethics in decision making.
· Strategic thinker, possessing vision and the willingness to challenge, stretch and be a change agent. Creative problem solver, flexible and able to handle ambiguity and process new ideas.
· Confident presentation ability, excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to articulate KUSP’ development vision.
Send a resume and cover letter to: Lee Ferraro, Interim GM
Applications are only accepted via email.
Email applications to: email@example.com
No phone calls please.